Wondering what the best alkaline water brands are?
So were we. While this is not real estate content, I love alkaline water, so I found it fitting to write about my favorite brands.
Read on to see why I love each one.
What Are the Best Alkaline Water Brands?
Some claim that alkaline water has anti-aging properties, that it can regulate the body’s pH levels and even ward off conditions including heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. In a nutshell, it sounds like drinking from the fountain of youth.
If you’re interested in drinking alkaline water for its health benefits, you may be wondering which alkaline water brands are the best to start with. The short answer to whether some alkaline water brands are better than others is yes!
Some brands taste better than others and have more health benefits. They may also be more readily available, which is also important. After all, you can’t drink alkaline water if you can’t find it in your area.
The Difference Between Alkaline Water Brands
To determine the best alkaline water brands, we considered taste, alkalinity, pH levels, and the presence of alkaline minerals, as well as availability in supermarkets, convenience stores, or home delivery.
We also look at the source of each brand of water since some come from natural springs and are naturally alkaline. To decide which brands of alkaline water are among the best, we first will look at what alkaline water is and the health benefits of alkaline water.
What Is Alkaline Water?
Alkaline water is H2O with a higher pH than regular water. A pH number of 0 to 14 tells how acidic or alkaline something is.
Tap water has a pH of 7, and alkaline water has a pH higher than 7, making it alkaline. Lower pH numbers indicate higher acidity. Usually, alkaline water brands have a pH level of 8 or 9.
However, brands must also contain alkaline minerals and negative oxidation-reduction potential, or ORP, which gives the water potential as an antioxidant to be considered alkaline water.
The more negative an ORP level is, the higher its antioxidizing properties.
Benefits of Alkaline Water
Some celebrities swear by alkaline water for its health benefits, but what are these benefits?
The belief is that alkaline water can lower the body’s acidity, which alkaline water proponents say brings health benefits.
It’s important to note that medical experts disagree on whether there is an overall health benefit to drinking alkaline water. A 2012 study found a benefit to drinking alkaline water with a pH of 8.8 for those suffering from acid reflux.
Another study found that blood flowed more efficiently through the body for those who drank alkaline water after exercise. Adherents to alkaline water say there are myriad health benefits to making the body less acidic.
- Anti-Aging – Alkaline water’s liquid antioxidants, said to fight aging, can be more readily absorbed by the body. These make them more effective in protecting cells against free radicals.
- Immune System Support – A less acidic body can better resist illness and disease, alkaline water drinkers say.
- Weight Loss – Those on weight loss regimens say hydration with alkaline water after a workout reduces acidity and inflammation, helping them shed pounds.
What Alkaline Water Brands Are Best?
Now that you’re learned more about alkaline water, its potential benefits, and possible risks, here are some of the best brands of alkaline water to try, along with their pros and cons.
Deciding to drink alkaline water isn’t as tricky as choosing a brand of alkaline water.
With a growing number of alkaline water brands available, how can you know which alkaline water brand is best?
Choosing one brand that’s best for everyone isn’t a good idea since alkaline needs can be unique to individuals.
However, these alkaline water brands include the alkaline minerals, electrolytes, and purity alkaline water drinkers want.
1. Bai Antioxidant Water
This alkaline water choice from Bai is pure from reverse osmosis and has a pH of 7.5, making it a good choice for those trying alkaline water for the first time. It comes in BPA-free bottles, another health benefit.
- High level of purity
- Balanced alkalinity
- Contains antioxidant minerals
- The taste may not be to everyone’s liking
- Water can be heavy and thick
2. CORE Hydration
CORE’s alkaline water option is highly purified and has a crisp taste that many enjoy. Alkaline minerals and electrolytes make CORE Hydration a great drink to enjoy after a workout.
- Balanced alkalinity with a pH of 7.4
- Crisp taste
- Not completely free of neurotoxins
3. LIFEWTR Purified Water
The pH range of LIFEWTR Purified Water is 6.4 to 7.4, making it only slightly alkaline at most.
This slight alkalinity benefits those starting to drink alkaline water for the first time and reduces the risk of drinking too much alkaline water. LIFEWTR also has a pleasant taste.
- Enjoyable taste
- Balanced alkalinity
- The bottle is easy to tuck into a gym bag
- The alkaline level is low compared to other brands
4. AQUAHydrate Electrolyte Enhanced Alkaline Water
AQUAHydrate has the highest pH level of our roundup, 9, making it among the most alkaline options. It also includes 72 minerals and is UV filtered.
- Highest level of alkalinity
- Eco-friendly UV filtration
- Most minerals of any brand reviewed
- It can have a salty taste
- Water can be thick
5. Smartwater Alkaline
Tying AQUAHydrate’s pH level of 9, Smartwater Alkaline is vapor distilled for purity and includes electrolytes. Smartwater has a pleasant and refreshing flavor.
- Refreshing taste
- Highest level of alkalinity
- Eco-friendly vapor distillation
- Not fluoride-free
6. Flow Alkaline Spring Water
Flow Alkaline Spring Water comes in its original flavor plus lemon ginger and cucumber mint, among others, if you’re looking for flavored options in alkaline water. Flow’s 8.1 pH level is natural, coming from its spring water source.
- Flavored waters are available
- Medium-range alkalinity of 8.1
- BPA-free packaging
- It doesn’t come in a clear bottle
- Water is untreated
7. Icelandic Glacial Natural Spring Alkaline Water
Sourced from a spring in Iceland, Icelandic Glacial Natural Spring Alkaline Water has natural purity and alkalinity. It has a medium-high pH of 8.4 and includes natural minerals. Icelandic has a refreshing taste, too.
- Naturally sourced
- Medium-high level of alkalinity
- Eco-friendly production
- May contain fluoride
- It isn’t as ubiquitous as other brands, and you may have to order it.
Things to Consider
If you’re considering drinking alkaline water as part of a healthy diet, you should also consider these possible risks of alkaline water.
- Less Ability to Resist Bacteria – Too much alkaline water can reduce the stomach’s acidity, which kills harmful bacteria and pathogens.
- Gastrointestinal Problems – Making the body too alkaline can cause gastrointestinal distress, including nausea and vomiting.
- Metabolic Alkalosis – If the body becomes too alkaline, metabolic alkalosis can occur. When this happens, it brings on symptoms such as tingling of the face and extremities, muscle twitches, hand tremors, and confusion.
- Decrease in Bone Health – A more alkaline body has less free calcium, which can affect bone health and could be harmful to those with osteoporosis.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much alkaline water should I drink each day?
Doctors say drinking eight to 10 glasses of water a day is essential to good health. Three to four of those can be alkaline water for those starting to use alkaline water.
Once your body becomes accustomed to alkaline water, you can increase that amount.
Should I drink alkaline water with meals?
You shouldn’t consume alkaline water 30 minutes before meals up to several hours after meals. Since alkaline water reduces acidity in the stomach, alkaline water could prevent the proper digestion of food.
When will I see health benefits after drinking alkaline water?
Drinking alkaline water results in changes that you can see within a few days to a few weeks, alkaline water proponents say. How soon you see these benefits varies from person to person.
Can I use alkaline water to take medication?
Don’t take medications or vitamins with alkaline water since it can interfere with the absorption of the medicine or supplement.
When is the best time of day to drink alkaline water?
Your body will absorb alkaline water best on an empty stomach, so starting your day with a glass of alkaline water when first getting out of bed is a good idea. Alkaline water after exercise is also good, as long as it is at least two hours after a meal.
Which Alkaline Water Brands Will You Try?
Those drinking alkaline water for the first time may want to start with alkaline water brands that have lower pH levels, enjoying them on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.
Frequent alkaline water drinkers can venture to brands with higher pH levels and sip it early in the morning as well as between meals.
Both those starting and who already drink alkaline water frequently could see health benefits, including abilities to fight aging, weight gain, and illness.